We appreciate that many villages would be impacted by the proposed development involved, not just residents of Norton Disney. Everyone’s opinion is valued and their input is important. Please rest assured that there is a lot of activity going on behind the scenes. We understand there are many people with deep-seated concerns who are anxious to have their voice heard. Our aim is to give everyone a voice but it’s not appropriate or in our best interest of the group’s work to publish details of all ongoing work in this open forum. We will publish frequent updates in the Witham Staple, Focal Point and other local magazines.
Lincoln Proteins Ltd indicated that their Planning Application would be submitted on or around 22nd December 2017. Its submission has been delayed and we do not have a confirmed new submission date although the company’s PR agents have indicated it is likely to be late February 2018. We are in a slight holding-pattern whilst we wait, whereupon we can confirm grounds for objection and Planning Application number.
However, in the interim you can:-
1. Sign our new e-petition Save the Norton Disney Roman Villa Complex, for submission to Lincolnshire County Council in February 2018. Situated yards from the front door of Villa Farm, Lincoln Proteins Ltd proposed site, there is a 1st to 4th century Roman Villa. The Villa has statutory protection as a National Heritage site however Roman Villas were not single buildings but usually a complex of buildings, temples and cemeteries. We believe further buildings lie in part or whole beneath Villa Farm and if the proposed factory goes ahead, it will destroy these archaeological remains forever (read more here). We do not believe Lincoln Proteins Ltd has shown any reverence or archaeological sensitivity to the site and indicated at the Norton Disney Exhibition that they may use Abbey Field to spread waste slurry. This development potentially threatens to destroy important and irreplaceable heritage and Villa Farm, as a Roman Villa site, should be given the full legal protection (as an Scheduled Ancient Monument) as the Villa itself has.
2. Write to your local MP and/or councillor with your viewpoints:-
For Lincolnshire residents: Email MP Caroline Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Councillor Marianne Overton (email@example.com) on copy.
For Nottinghamshire residents: Email MP Robert Jenrick (firstname.lastname@example.org), who has publicly posted and spoken of his deep-seated concerns regarding the proposal, given the negative feedback he has received from residents living near the J G Pears rendering factory in his constituency.
If you wish to write to the Planning Department ahead of an application being submitted (and we’d probably suggest that you wait until Lincoln Proteins actually submit their Planning Application), you can write to Planning, Lancaster House, 38 Orchard Street, Lincoln, LN1 1XX, or email comments to: email@example.com or to the Director of Planning, Neil McBride firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Donate to our Campaign via JustGiving to help us fund a professional and robust objection to the proposed planning of an animal rendering plant at Villa Farm, Norton Disney.
4. Attend a Letter-Writing Workshop (March 2018)
The central team are organising a series of letter-writing workshops, with a kick-off presentation on our work to date, to provide guidance on how to object to Lincoln Protein’s Planning Application. The grounds for objection are really important in order for your objection to be counted. You can object as an individual and/or a business. Until the Planning Application goes in, these workshops dates are in pencil, and we will move them if needs be.
Given the volume of people we’re expecting, the venues will be the Hammond Hall in Bassingham and Oakridge Arena, Collingham. If you have a disability, or need some assistance with writing your letter, there will be folks on hand with laptops to take your dictation and print for your review and signature.
We’ve pushed back the dates twice due to the Planning Application delay by Lincoln Proteins, but the next pencilled dates are:
- Workshop 1: Sunday 18th March, 10:00am-12:00pm @ Hammond Hall, Bassingham
- Workshop 2: Tuesday 20th March, 6:00pm to 8:00pm @ Oakridge Arena, Collingham
A Little Help from Our Friends
We will always be in need of “foot soldiers” so if you are able to deliver leaflets, take notes at meetings, bake buns, help with parking, advise others on letter-writing etc, please drop us a note via our email address volunteersWVPPG@gmail.com. We’d be delighted to have you on board.
Local Parish Council & public meetings
- Monday 4th December: Swinderby Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm *Lincoln Proteins Ltd will be making a presentation at this meeting
- Monday 4th December 2017: Aubourn & Haddington Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm
- Friday 8th December: Public Meeting at Norton Disney Village Hall with Dr Caroline Johnson, MP (Sleaford & Hykeham), 7:30pm
- Tuesday 12th December 2017: Carlton le Moorland Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm
- Thursday 14th December 2017: Bassingham Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm
- Friday 15th December 2017: Presentation to Lincolnshire County Council & live webcast.
- Wednesday 20th December 2017: Public Meeting at Witham St Hughs (The Village Hall), 8:00pm
- Wednesday 10th January 2018: Carlton le Moorland Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm
- Thursday 11th January 2018: Bassingham Parish Council Meeting, 7:30pm
- Wednesday 17th January 2018: Witham St Hughs Parish Council Meeting, 7:00pm